Thoughts Regarding God and Life
I Cannot Pray The Lords Prayer
Some of us declare that we are Christian. But not all who claim this title truly follow the guidelines and obligations that go with it. In Matthew 6:7, (NCV) Jesus tells us, "And when you pray, don't be like those people who don't know God. They continue saying things that mean nothing, thinking that God will hear them because of their many words."
  • I cannot pray "Our Father", if I do not believe that I am one of God's children.
  • I cannot pray "Who Art in Heaven", if all my interests concern earthly things alone.
  • I cannot pray "Hallowed Be Thy Name", if I do not believe God is supreme.
  • I cannot pray "Thy Kingdom Come", if I am not willing accept the reign of God.
  • I cannot pray "Thy Will Be Done", if I am resentful of having God's will my life.
  • I cannot pray "On Earth as It Is in Heaven", unless I believe that God is truly the sovereign ruler of everything.
  • I cannot say "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread", if I think that what I possess came by my power alone.
  • I cannot pray "Forgive Us Our Sins as We Forgive Those Who Sin Against Us", if I am not truly sorry for them, and continue to harbor bad feelings against others.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Lead Us Not into Temptation", if I remain anywhere that I am likely to be tempted.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Deliver Us from Evil", if I do not put on God's armor and fight against evil myself.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Yours Is the Kingdom", if I do not give my King the complete obedience of a loyal subject.
  •  
  • I cannot say "Yours Is the Power", if I believe that I can do anything on my power alone.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Yours Is the Glory", if I am seeking my glory alone.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Forever and Ever", if I only concerned about this life and not the afterlife.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "In Jesus Name", unless I truly believe that He is the way to everlasting life.
  •  
  • I cannot pray "Amen", unless I am totally willing to pay the price of this prayer.
  •  

To be a "Christian" means that you are truly blessed in God's favor, but God will not listen to your talk without you walking the walk!

Steven Coffman
Monday, November 30, 2009

1 Comments:

At 8:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very helpful post to a common prayer which many of us cite without thinking about what we are saying.
A few months ago I read an excellent book on the title of "Thy Will Be Done on Earth" by Russell which was also very thought-provoking regarding the Lord'[s prayer. Keep up the good postings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home